Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Abandoned Ship!

Yes I realize it's been about six months since I last posted and most everyone who reads this damn thing has pretty much jumped ship too. Though isn't that the point of a blog? To rant, ramble, and rave to whatever tiny audience you can muster, and then get over it when you get busy/bored/lazy?


Well I have a renewed energy to keep blogging (god I still hate that term). I have been reading my favorite blogger's archives, the Sassy Curmudgeon, who is basically the cooler, older, slightly more neurotic, more than slightly more talented, snarkier East Coast version of myself. Like me, she also hates to write, but forces herself to do it. In the process she has gained an impressive following, and a triumphant wealth of source material.


So basically, I want to be her when I grow up. And in order to grow up, I have to get off my ass (metaphorically, since I'm technically on my ass at the moment), and start writing again. Much like exercise and reading, writing is like a bipolar hobby of mine. I'm either working at it feverishly, or avoiding it altogether. This is a very bad thing since I happen to want to be a writer (again, when I grow up. which probably won't be any time soon).


But you'll be proud to know that I have actually started a novel! The first one since about fourth grade when I was convinced I was going to be a world famous authoress, like J.K. Rowling, if I had known who she was back then. So far it's going well. Eleven pages in and going strong. Though it kind of sounds like an extended blog. But if I say I did that on purpose, then hopefully people will just think it's my cool, hip style instead of a lack of standard literary skills.


The screenplay, which my partner and had working entitled "Hawaiian Goonies," has been put on the shelf for almost as long as this blog. Sadly, we have no plans to push through the last 30 pages, since we now are both fully employed and have opposite schedules. Maybe it will happen someday, but for now, I'm just happy that I got this far.


So basic update, yes baby Ayvind is adorable and awesome. He dances like a robot with a very serious face and it's pretty much the cutest thing ever. My new niece, Sadie, was born a month later. She is just starting to get cute (I'm sorry, but newborn white babies look like a cross between an alien, a frog and a crotchety old man). Unemployment sucked, but I stuck it out and eventually got a job sign twirling. Which was both hilarious and a pain in the ass. I may write more on that subject later. But now I'm back full-time at the job I had last year with the American Film Market. And tomorrow is my first real payday in a looooong time. It will be a most excellent feeling.


Anyway, sorry for the super-long and not terribly amusing blog. But I'm going to try to update a few times a week. Hopefully I'll have something worthwhile to say. If not, I'll just make stuff up. In the meantime, check out the Sassy Curmudgeon. She's pretty much the coolest person ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment