Thursday, November 4, 2010

Never flash a Japanese businessman...

Working this event has been a lot like revisiting middle school. The company can be kind of cliquey (Everyone is absolutely wonderful. We just have our little groups and tend to stick to them); we eat in a cafeteria (and experience that moment of panic in deciding where to sit down); and we ride the bus (the shuttle to the far-away parking garage). There is also a bevy of delicious snacks!

My story tonight, after a ridiculously long and tiresome day, involves the shuttle bus and a poor, unfortunate Japanese film executive. These vans have rather small aisles so if you have any sort of girth at all, you have to turn sideways to get through. I happened to be wearing a dress today, and as I made my way to the back of the bus (where all the cool kids sit), my skirt got caught on one of the armrests. When I was no longer able to keep moving forward, I turned around to see what was impeding my progress. In this process, my dress flipped up and the Japanese businessman got quite an eyeful.

Luckily I was wearing bike shorts underneath my dress (ironically something I also used to do in elementary school. Though back then it was a fashion statement rather than an effort to keep my poor chunky thighs from viciously rubbing together.) But the experience was rather humiliating and unpleasant for all parties involved. The businessman didn't say anything, but the entire ride back to the garage he was chatting with his buddy in Japanese. Like any self-involved person, I assumed they were talking about me and my enormous...bike shorts. They were probably discussing a multi-million dollar business deal, but they very well could have been mocking me in a language I don't understand. Who's to say?

So the moral of the story is...I'm not sure. Just watch where you're going? And never flash a Japanese businessman. Unless he's paying you good money...

No comments:

Post a Comment