Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chick Lit Chain Letter

I have been taking the day off so far, as it is Saturday and I have been working ever so hard on job applications, networking, writing, and script-covering. To celebrate, I have just finished for the second time the novel Bridget Jones' Diary, which is vapid, shallow, and so very entertaining. I'm now starting the sequel, Bridget Jones: the Edge of Reason, which I have owned for at least three years and already read once. However, upon cracking the cover for the second time, I noticed a message scrawled in pen on the first page.

"Kind Reader: This book is registered with www.bookcrossing.com. In order to follow book, see who reads it, visit above site. Book # is 488-394378. Make quick journal entry then pass book along. Book can be tracked to see how many lives it touches. Thank you."

I have never heard of this chain letter phenomenon with books. It seems like a really cool project. I just checked up on the books status and apparently it originally came from Perkasie, Pennsylvania in 2002. It was given to me in 2007 (?) by a friend in Irvine, California who got it from her boss's wife in Newport Beach. I don't plan on giving it up since I tend to read books over and over, but I just thought I'd share this website. I've always preferred used books because they have a mysterious history you usually never get to discover. Maybe I'll send some other books out into the world and see where they end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment