Monday, October 18, 2010

Bathroom Issues...No, not those kind

I don't really have much to say today. Cheesecake Factory at the Grove was glorious (despite having to wait and being almost crushed by the hoards of tourists flocking to see the dancing fountain, trolley cars, and fine retail and dining everywhere you look). Pumpkin cheesecake is my new deity. Then Eric and I went to see the Social Network which was just outstanding. I was shocked at how funny it was. My favorite line was "I'm 6'5'', 220, and there's two of me." In the context, it's hilarious, I swear. But there's nothing really I can say about it that hasn't already been said more insightfully (?) or more succinctly by Entertainment Weekly.

So on to the topic of the day. My toilet. It's been running almost as long as I've lived here, which is over a year now. I know, waste of water, probably not good for the plumbing, blah blah blah. The reasons I never dealt with it are 1. I don't pay for my water bill (sorry landlady Piper who totally reminds me of Dr. Bailey on Grey's), so it's not costing me anything extra and 2. I'm a huuuuge procrastinator when it comes to getting things done that don't really need to get done right away. Exhibits B and C, my long broken A/C and heater. Did I mention that my landlady is Bailey? She's awesome but kind of intimidating. I don't really like bothering her for stuff even though it's kind of her job.

My toilet. Just so you know what we're dealing with here.

I'm somewhat mechanically-minded (hah!) so I attempted to fix the damn thing myself yesterday. This was a dumb idea for multiple reasons. I took off the tank lid, trying not to disturb the family of rubber duckies that live there. (Did I mention that I'm 23 now?) I took my floral-handled screwdriver and tried to tighten the screw on the thing. That seemed to make it angry. Now it's been basically continually flushing ever since. So I finally called Piper and was like "Oh, it's always run a little, but it just started going crazy. Yup. All on its own." So she called the plumber to come today.

My super-girlie but handy dandy flower hammer/screwdriver

It kind of made me uncomfortable to have a complete stranger in my house when I'm not there, but I was anxious to have my toilet fixed. (I'm resisting the urge to name it now, since I name most inanimate objects I encounter. But even I draw the line at naming something on which you...) But he ended up not coming, the churlish bastard (I'm assuming. And 'churlish' is my new favorite word). This made me even more uncomfortable because I actually did have a toilet explode in the hotel room my friends and I shared in Ashland, Oregon for the Shakespeare Festival. That one was not my fault. But seriously, it was like a beautiful toilet-shaped fountain. So now I keep envisioning that happening in my own bathroom while I'm not home and it floods my apartment, destroying in the most disgusting way possible, everything I own. I'm not paranoid at all...

My tiny TV which nonetheless is my new gateway to almost every movie and TV show EVER!

In the end, this story has no point. My toilet is still not fixed. But the good news is I am watching Season One of Buffy. On my Wii. HOLY CRAP!!! BEST THING EVER!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have ducks on my toilet too!!! Two of them are candle ducks, and one of them has half its head burnt off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Social Network - That was my favorite line too!! Haha!

    ReplyDelete