Thursday, October 21, 2010

Introducing the Sally Tomatoes!

I've already posted this on Facebook, but just in case you were on the edge of your seat, dying to hear news of the name of my little a cappella singing group, we've finally chosen...the Sally Tomatoes!! The following are the reasons why this name rocks:

1. I (kind of) suggested it, so yay me!
2. It's not a silly musical pun that most people won't get (ie, Circle of Fifths, Here comes Treble, the Acafellas, etc.)
3. It's an obscure reference to the classic Audrey Hepburn film "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Holly Golightly regularly visits a mob boss named Sally Tomato in jail to give him "the weather report." If you haven't seen the movie I suppose that sounds like a euphemism for conjugal visits. But it's not...
4. It's also an homage to our unlikely patron saint, Ray, or as I like to call him, Sally Tomato (I'm nothing if not repetitious). For those of you who don't remember as far back as last Friday, Ray bought us drinks at Gabe's on karaoke night. He was an adorable old drunk who sang "I Got You Babe" after telling us his friend's brother had 6 months to live.
5. It sounds random, which I love, but is actually steeped in our (week old) mythology with great and somewhat badass significance.
6. If nothing else, we've been trying to come up with a name for months and then there's that one moment when someone says something and everyone goes quiet. Then it's all, "I kinda like that..." and a legacy is born. Ok, so it's not like the Sally Tomatoes are poised to take over the world or anything, but a name solidifies us and makes it real :D

Anyway, can you handle how cute that is?

PS, I tried to post a picture of a tomato, just in case you didn't know what one looked like, but it didn't work and I'm tired. So yeah. Picture a tomato here.

No comments:

Post a Comment